Thursday 14 October 2010

Thoughts for the week

My mind is in a strange place at the moment. I'm not sure I could write a coherent piece if I tried, so I thought I'd go with a kind of list. It might give you an idea of where I'm at.

* I am really sick of sweeping the bathroom floor.

* On Tuesday, I sat at my 'writing space' for the first time since I got back. I wrote more than 1000 words and it felt fantastic.

* I looked at the poems I wrote while I was away or soon after I got home, and they aren't as bad as I originally thought, especially after a few tweaks.

* Derek Motion wrote a review of my poetry collection, First taste, at Literary Minded. It is awesome I don't know what to say. Except, go read it and buy the book.

* I'm planning to launch the above-mentioned book on Sunday November 28th. Not sure where yet, though I think it'll be called a Going Away Launch Party.

* I've decided to do NaNoWriMo again (more on this in a later post). Well, sort of. I'm going to be a rebel and write (hopefully) 50,000 words that aren't going to form a novel.

* I am pleased that my hardline approach of closing the door and ignoring my 2 year-old's tantrums seems to be working already. I guess he's not as similar to his older brother as I thought.

* My 8 year-old is starting to see how ridiculous someone who's having a tantrum looks and might start to modify his own behaviour. (I realise I'm being mighty hopeful a I say this and assure you I am not holding my breath for any actual change.)

* I realise my daughter might think all boys act like two year-olds when they don't get what they want.

* I am the feature poet this Saturday at Stopping all Stations in Nunawading. I plan to read from my book as well as to share some new stuff.

* I love it when my computer automatically shuts down when I'm in the middle of something, like typing this blog post (this is actually not true).

* The steamed banana pudding I made on Monday was so delicious I plan to make another one tomorrow.

* I am looking forward to driving around Brisbane's southern suburbs on Monday looking at the houses on our (long) shortlist. It feels weird to think that I will probably visit the house we'll move into next year.

* I really hope we don't have a huntsman inside on Saturday for our Open Inspection.

* page seventeen issue 8 is almost ready to go to the printer.

3 comments:

Leonie said...

Love the list.
Sometimes I write a list just because :-)
If you have an open again on Sat I s'pose that means no offers yet :-(
Hoping the paperwork has come through.
Hoping the 2 year old "gets it" quicker
Hoping the 8 year old finally "gets it"
Hoping your daughter doesn't get put off boys for life :-)

Tiggy Johnson said...

I love a list too, and my paper ones are limited right now, as I keep having to put them away, and what good are they 'away'?

No offers yet, although we think we might be close. We've had one crazy (low) informal one. Wish he'd make it formal so it might hurry everyone else up. Paperwork is through.

Daughter was comparing 'bits' in the toilets at kinder today with a boy, so she's probably only put off brother-types (understandable really).

Anonymous said...

Awesome review, huh!