Sunday 9 August 2009

winding down

It's been an incredible week. I don't remember the last time I got so much done.

The poem I wrote on Thursday morning, which was something that had been in my mind for months, was accepted on the same day. That is a first and I wish it could only be so easy all the time. I was pretty lucky that not only was it something I'd been thinking about, but was for a very themed publication.

The short article was sent off (thankfully before we had a power-out for half of Friday), I completed two edits for my EWF Reader piece and have now finished, and I wrote the short story that I had outlined in the library.

I actually enjoyed writing the story this way, and will have to incoroporate this process into my repertoire. In particular, I found that because I knew almost exactly what was coming later, I was able to put the kind of details in that I usually have to come back to include. Essentially, the outline served as a first draft. I've sent it to one of my writer friends for some harsh feedback, and will hopefully work on it again in another week. Then, I can send it off in time. There is more about this story idea that was new to me than the writing process though.

A few months ago, I met the editor to whom I am going to send it, and he mentioned an upcoming theme. I decided to take on the challenge, as I thought it was something I wouldn't normally do in my writing. I had two okay ideas straight away, although when I tried to write them, they turned out to be not so great. Then, one night in the car, there was a report in the news that struck me as perfect. But that's all I'm going to say (for now).

Friday night I went to the Overload Program Launch & Slam Heat No 1, which was a fabulous night. I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a poetry event, and I'm looking forward to the second heat in Frankston this coming Saturday.

After an intensive few days of writing, I've been spending the weekend at home with family and the sewing machine. To justify starting a new project, I even did a mend that's been waiting months and finished these guys, which I started oh so long ago. The kids knew I was making them for them, and I am sure that sewing is how I teach them patience.

Now to go and sew a button back onto a pair of jeans I haven't worn since it fell off, in summer.

6 comments:

Carole Poustie said...

Your lucky kids. I want one! And I want to write poems that get accepted on the dame day. Clever you.

Carole

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Was that button from the last launch? ;)

Cute monkeys, now there'll be more monkeys jumping on the bed...

Tony Tulloch said...

I don't know where you find the time. Love the monkeys.

Leonie said...

yay they are finished at last, you have had such a busy week. Well done!

PS What's next????

Tiggy Johnson said...

Thanks. The patterns are both from these guys, whose designs I adore, http://mellyandme.typepad.com/melly_me/. And they're local.

Lisa, Yes, it was that button.

What's next? That implies I don't have a drawer full of on-th-go projects, including this: http://leanneshouse.typepad.com/photos/butterfly_garden_block_of/nov_07_bg_by_jacques011.html, which will take forever (and is for me).