Friday 2 October 2009

Have I forgotten the... ?

It's the time of year I simultaneously love and hate putting together a magazine. Mostly I love it, but what I hate is that there are some things I just have to do almost all at once, whether I like it or not. Whether I can or not. And at least for some of them, I can't.

In fact, it's the time of the year when one or two people learn first hand that being a writer, editor, publisher and mother of three is something that I actually can't do all at once. Some discover that I am indeed human.

Perhaps I shouldn't have scheduled the last week of getting the next issue of page seventeen ready for the proofreaders during school holidays. Although I'm sure something else would have come up to slow me down.


On the bright side, I took the kids to the zoo on Tuesday and spent yesterday at the Melbourne Museum with Hamish to see the 'A Day in Pompeii' exhibition. And the dinosaur section. Of course. The zoo highlight for Hamish and Claudia was patting an alligator, and for Dylan, well, digging in chipbark is generally underrated.

On the not so bright side, I had to wait until today to get back into the layout, and the proofreaders are expecting parcels on Monday at the latest, so all had/has to fall into place. Mostly though, I am done. What is left is mostly just fiddly bits and pieces, and trying to somehow rid that lurking feeling of... what the F have I forgotten?

But really, by issue 7, I'm pretty sure that feeling is just part of the deal. By tonight I will be finished, and I assure you, there will be tokay.

No comments: