Saturday 4 July 2009

hiatus from hiatus

So much for my hiatus. I am not sure how long it lasted, but it wasn't long. Maybe a week.

I'm not sure whether it was the spinning room, the overload poetry festival programme becoming available, the submissions and entries being farmed out to others to read, or the fact that I've been home alone. Or something entirely different. Whatever, I have been writing.

Mostly I've been working on a story that you'll have to wait to hear more about. I even wrote the old fashioned way, with pen and paper, although this was mainly to be in the room with the kick-arse fire I built. It's hard to know how many words I've written, but I'd guess about 1400. I'm aiming for 1800, so when I write the other two sections I have in mind and then edit, it should be just right.

I've also been tinkering with the two new performance pieces. This was minor, until this morning. Even before I got out of bed, I had a breakthrough with the piece I wasn't sure about, and now it has gone from being a tad over three minutes to being a one minute poem. I might even perform it for the one minute round of the Slam final I'm competing in on Tuesday 4th August at the Spinning Room. Meanwhile, I'll try it out this afternoon at The Word Tree at Burrinja.

I have also written two propsals, but that is not so exciting.

While I was in the depths of this creative energy, I also went and registered for the Overload Slam. Maybe I'm a little crazy, but I think it's going to be fun.

No comments: