Thursday 23 July 2009

new work

I've been asked to write another article. This is excellent, although it means there's no chance I'm going to have a break from writing while I go through the busy page seventeen period. But, as long as I come out at the other end in one piece, this will also be a good thing.

This new piece, while brief, actually requires research, so I have started on it straight away. I am not accustomed to doing research, other than in my past uni-lives, so hope that collating information for a week will be long enough. I have a fairly tight deadline. I also started doing research for another article I'd like to write, although with no placement, there's no deadline. Even so, I don't want to put it off too long.

Today I redrafted my EWF Reader piece and have sent it off to the editor. This is amazing for me, given I am definitely one of those writers who either sends things off with a day or so to go or misses the deadline altogether. And without having an exact statistic, editorial experience suggests about half of us do this.

Now, with less than an hour before school pick-up, I find it hard to decide what to do next. I could start reading the stories from the general submission that are still under consideration, or I could work on a story. There's one I've been working on that I'd like to get back to (and finish before an end of August deadline), but I may need to let it stir through the back of my mind for a while longer first. I guess there's one way to find out for sure.

No comments: